Friday, October 10, 2014

New Baby Essentials (from a "veteran" mom)


When I was pregnant with Kyndall, I thought I needed all the “stuff” to be a good mom.  I registered for, requested, and/or bought all the things:  the diaper pail, the four different diaper bags, several types of bottles (even though I’m a breast-feeding mama).  Libby came so soon after Kyndall that I still had all that stuff…even the useless junk I thought I needed.

This time around, while I’m no Michelle Duggar, I do feel more experienced.  The list of “stuff” that I need is much, much shorter.  I've compiled my list and have come up with 5 new baby must-haves, not including the obvious diapers, wipes, bedding and food (whether breastmilk or formula).

Here we go.

1. Carrier carseat.  Some moms don’t recommend these, but it made my life MUCH easier with the first two.  Drop it in the base as a carseat, use it in the cart at the grocery store, plop it in a chair at a restaurant.

2. An infant carrier.  I had a Jeep brand carrier with the girls, but I’m looking at using a Maya wrap this time.  (I saw a lady using one at the zoo to carry her daughter and it looked super convenient!) 

3. A boppy.  This half-circle-shape pillow made breastfeeding so much easier.  It’s also great when smaller children want to hold the baby.

4.   A medium-sized diaper bag.  I breast-fed both the girls, so I didn't have need to carry lots of bottles.  But even if I had needed to, I don't know what you would carry in those great big bags.  I ordered this bag from Amazon and it is the perfect size for me.  


5.  A swing.  My girls both LOVED this papasan-swing.  It gives the option of swinging side to side or head to toe.  I still have it and I'm hoping Jase loves it as much as they did!

6.  A breast pump.  This one is new to me, but obviously an essential.  I didn't need to pump with either of the girls because I wasn't working, but I will have to this time around.  After lots of research, this is the apparently best on the market.

And in case you are curious about the obvious things you need, we are going with Pampers diapers this time around (because that is, apparently, the 'boy' diaper), this crib/changer combo bed, and hopefully, I'll be nursing again.  I will have to go back to work at some point though, so I'm pretty sure I'll go with these bottles when that happens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment